Tuesday, August 18, 2009

rest in peace, cap.

Four days ago on Saturday, August 15, 2009 I met Cap. Cap is the father of Skipper, my dear friend Harrison's beloved pet turtle. Harrison was only allowed a few days with Skipper before (what I like to say) his momma turtle called him home for dinner. Unfortunately I think the reality of that was that Skipper ran away. H was very upset about his missing pet and seemed deeply hurt by his loss. Mid-Monday morning I received a text message from H saying "Bob found Skipper!!" (Bob is H's dad, by the way)

I, being the overly excited friend replied back "Aw, that's great! I wanna meet him!"...little did I know I would never meet the infamous Skipper.

When Alex and I pulled up to H's house on that bright Saturday afternoon after hitting up some Ihop with Zach, we witnessed H taking pictures of something in the grass...his turtle. Now, don't get excited- it wasn't Skipper. But it was a quite beautiful turtle which he named Captain; or Cap for short. He claimed that he was Skipper's father and that he was very old. I swiftly picked him up and began petting his sweet little amphibian head and baby-talking like you would to oh say, a dog or a new kitten. Here's a picture of the old chap- I mean Cap. (He was very photogenic) And yes, he was on the bed on a towel. Well, he was until H put him in a bucket on the floor. Which is not very homey if ya ask me.
Anyway, apparently in the past four days Cap had perished and his dead body had been invaded by ants- really a sad story if you ask me. He was a really good turtle. Very active and if you held him his little tail would pop out to let you know he was enjoying the love. I didn't have the pleasure of knowing him long but from what I did know of him was good because it made H happy.

Now that I think about it, the whole writing a blog on a dead turtle thing is kind of weird. But I have a point, I promise.

The action of becoming too attached to something or someone is very easily acquired. It's never really a good thing because in the end you always seem to get hurt. Pets for instance- they're obviously not going to live a lifespan as long as a human would so they'll come and go throughout your life. And it always hurts when they go no matter how long you've had them. Same goes with boyfriends and girlfriends, at least when you're this age. Everyone seems to get so attached so quickly and then when it's over two months later they're crying into a pillow wallowing in their 'love' for their now ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

Why not have fun while you're this age? Date someone that makes you happy and you can enjoy spending time with them. But someone that doesn't make you feel like you have to spend every-waking-moment with them. Getting attached too quickly can result in bad endings. (Not always, I know guys...I'm not asking you to prove me wrong, I'm just sayin')

It just makes me sad to think that my good pal H found something to love and care for and it couldn't stay for a few days.

I'm really not sure if any of this made sense, I'm kind of babbling along because I can't sleep and my mind is going crazy. So, sorry if you guys couldn't follow it. I knew what I was aiming for, at least.

Goodnight, world.
Rest in Peace, Captain.
.


PS, I've got about four more days until my life reaches the closest it's ever been to perfect and I absolutely can't wait. I'm so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment